Sunday, August 24, 2008

Soap Opera at the Gym

Like I mentioned previously, I tend to go to the gym very early in the morning, around 5:30-6:00 a.m. One of the reasons I like to go that early is because the gym isn't as crowded as it is later in the day.

That being the case, you tend to become familiar--and informally acquainted--with some of the regular crowd who also choose to work out that early.

One particular couple tends to draw a lot of attention to themselves. The guy appears to be your typical gym meathead: average height and very muscular. The girl is very short and petite, and also very muscular for her size (she also got a huge boob job at some point...which honestly looks pretty weird on her tiny frame). They are a good-looking couple.

But the thing is, they're almost always fighting. You know how you can tell when people are fighting or arguing even when you don't know what they're saying? It's in their facial expressions, their body language, hand gestures, etc. One or the other will walk up to each other in between sets and just start going off on whatever. Then they'll split for a few minutes and do their thing. Often the girl will then go up and attempt to apologize or smooth things over (I can tell because of her changed facial expression and the way she'll gently touch his arm or hand), but this often results in just another outburst from either him or her, and once again they'll split and go back to their workouts.

I watch these exchanges in twisted fascination. This is made possible by there being mirrors on all the walls at the gym, so I can stare without it appearing that I'm staring. I think what fascinates me so much is that they're fighting at the gym. It seems like most couples would save stuff like that for less public venues. I don't believe they're married because she doesn't wear a ring and I saw them leave in separate cars once when I was leaving. (Don't read into it--checking for rings is something that became habitual to me after four years of BYU.) Maybe their gym-time is the time they typically spend together each day. Maybe they like to fight while at the gym because they can simultaneously alleviate the stress through rigorous exercise. Maybe they secretly like the attention? I don't know. Sometimes I'm tempted to go work out in their vicinity and turn off my ipod and see what all the ruckus is about.

In any event, I appreciate these two. The girl, because she's nice to look at (hot girls at the gym=another topic for another day). The guy, because he fights with the girl and gives me something to inwardly smile about. Both are much welcomed distractions from the normal drudgery of my workouts.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm hoping that in your observations you create an inner dialog for their arguments. It always adds SO much to the entertainment value.

As a side note, most girls don't wear their rings when working out. A potentially useful bit of information in this scenario, and also for any attempts you might make at hitting on women at the gym. :)

TBD said...

I will have you know that I have NEVER hit on a girl at the gym!

(not that I've never wanted to...)

But still most married couples wouldn't leave in separate cars.

Crystalbell said...

Married couples who are married and going to their perspective jobs might leave in separate cars.

But maybe, just maybe, they're having an affair, while also being work out chums.

People watching at its finest.

Down with implants.

Crystalbell said...

That opening sentence was brilliant. Maybe I'll take up proofreading some day.

Lana // Blog Author said...

3 words to explain. Steroids Cause Anger. Didn't you ever watch the show California Dreams where he gets mad and pushed his best friend into the wall for no reason? YEAH. STEROIDS CAUSE ANGER!!