Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's that time again...

The new season of The Bachelor just started. Finally!!!

Okay, I lie. I actually didn't know it had started until a friend just asked me if I was watching it. Of course she knew I wasn't. She knows how I feel about those kind of shows.

But then I got to thinking. Shouldn't I want to watch this show? If television is one way we all escape into fantasy and forget the real world, then The Bachelor should be the #1 most-watched show by men everywhere. It should also be the least-watched show of women everywhere. Why? Because the show depicts a regiment of beautiful women desperately throwing themselves at one lucky guy. Sounds pretty nice, right guys? I'll take it.

But girls? Why do you watch it? Granted, situations like The Bachelor, while rare, do sometimes occur in the real world. But such situations aren't particularly proud moments for the female species. When one guy is being doted on and fawned over by a group of girls vying for his attention, do you think the girls feel very good about themselves? And even if you're a girl just standing back and watching this fantastic scene, do you find it entertaining? Or do you roll your eyes and wish you could dissociate yourself from your pathetic sisters? Don't you girls always insist on how it's the man's job to make the first move--to pursue the woman? If that's the case, why do you obsess over The Bachelor? The show is like a televised slap in the face. It's a contradiction to everything you've been trying to teach your brothers and guy friends for centuries. The message it sends to guys is: "Sit back and keep playing that Xbox, the ladies will come to you." Fortunately for you, the damage probably isn't too great, because guys think the show is stupid and aren't even watching it. (They're playing Xbox.)

Now I can understand girls going crazy over The Bachelorette, because then the situation is reversed: platoon of guys fighting over one girl. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it ladies! Now there's a fantasy land I can see you girls wanting to get lost in. Furthermore, it's probably a better representation of reality because attractive women typically have to sift through a large number of potential suitors.

In sum, I am confused. If any of you would care to enlighten me, I would be most grateful.

10 comments:

danniandrockstar said...

Oh goodness, I watch so that I can criticize these 25 women for being a disgrace to the female gender and the one man on the show for, well, being a typical man (the piggish type). He may seem innocent but I would venture to say his character (true gentlemen) is scripted. I mean the evidence points to otherwise (look at the game he's playing and the woman he's vowed to find his soulmate among). Rozlyn (a girl on the show) just got kicked off for having sex with a staffer (uh huh).

I ask myself questions like these(and even find myself screaming them at the television from time to time): Do they realize how desperate they appear to be? Is it about the "bachelor" or is it really about the chase and the fame? Finally, can a group of 25 woman ACTUALLY all fall in love with the same exact guy in a period of say 25 minutes(I'm not exaggerating here)? This last question particularly sparks my curiosity. If you watch the first episode of the season you will note that 25 separate woman from across the country simultaneously fall for one guy and the phenomenal part of this situation is they all do it without having spent more than 15 minutes with him. Now to their credit I am sure the ABC network primes them with a bit of video footage prior and, as is the case this season, they have had the luxury of seeing their bachelor on the prior episodes as a contestant but, come on? Is this enough? I'd say, "no." Maybe it's enough for one or maybe even two scatterbrains to fall for the guy but certainly not all 25, that is, not unless there are other motives like, well, money, which I guess answers my other question.

However, even after saying all this about these pathetic woman I still have to argue the bachelor is even more deplorable. He's actually going to choose one of these money hungry inadequacies as what he claims to be "his life mate." Just the mere fact that he pronounces this statement over and over and over makes him the real loser in this whole game.

I don't think my agitated television gestures will be ending anytime soon.

Heather said...

I don't really watch the bachelor. But I have seen a couple episodes here and there. I don't understand the appeal - aside from just wanting to watch another staged reality show. I don't get how the women can think they fall in love with some guy who is on his best behavior during the entire show. He isn't going to be the same when he's not taping a show in front of millions of people. The same goes for the women. And I honestly think most of the women must just really want to be on TV and that's why they do it in the first place. And then they get swept up in the fantasy and think they have real feelings. And I agree with the previous commenter... it's ridiculous that 25 women could fall for the SAME man immediately. It's all BS if you ask me. :)

TBD said...

Your answer is interesting, Danni, because it just made me realize another reason people might watch reality television. It's an easy target for our anger and ridicule. Now, you hint at monetary motives, but do you realize that all the girls (and the bachelor) are getting paid to be on the show? Does that change your opinion of them? Don't hate the players...hate the game.

And yes, Heather, I agree. I don't watch it because it's all staged, contrived BS.

Carly said...

its for entertainment purposed only, i have no faith in the system to find a spouse. its just crazy some of the stuff that goes on, funny stuff, awkward stuff...guessing who they'll end up picking.

Bryan CastaƱeda said...

You're hung up on the word "reality". The Bachelor is actually a game show. It's closer to The Price is Right than a traditional documentary.

janel said...

HAAAAA! I can't enlighten you because I am laughing too hard. Watch out, though--ABC might come get you in the nighttime for exposing them.

K.Pete said...

I love this post!!! I totally agree with you - what is the appeal??? I surely don't know. Maybe women watch it because they hope they will learn about the selection process men use to pick the "right" girl. HAHA! Because the Bachelor is like the end-all on how men pick their mate. LOL But seriously - I bet that has something to do with it. Maybe they're hoping to emulate the winner??

K.Pete said...

oh I just read some of the comments - HAHAHAHAHA! I don't think it's hard to believe that 25 women or men could fall for the same person simultaneously. Oh heavens - I've had multiple people fall in love with me at the same time - not that I'm proud of juggling - but love is a tricky thing. And it's easy to be swept away by emotions - especially if you're looking to be swept away. And these contestants are looking for it. It's not ridiculous - it's life.

TBD said...

Good point Daisy, I hadn't looked at it from that perspective. I can see girls watching it to get insight on what turns guys on/off. Still, I don't think it will help them much since so much of these shows are driven by scripting and the wants of the producers.

PuppyChow said...

First of all, I don't own a TV. Unless your television's power is generated from the treadmill or stationary bike. Look who are watching these retarded shows! It's a waste of time for god sake. I come to a conclusion that these people have one or more of the characteristics that I'm going to list below.
-is a couch potato! Unless he/she is multitasking- doing Insanity or P90X in the meantime.
-has body fat more than 22%(female) or 14%(male)
-does not have a 3.9 GPA or above
-eat junk food, drink soda, beer and has no life
-probably lonely because her boyfriend doesn't want to watch it with her. Or else I would feel very bad for this poor guy having to watch it with his girlfriend.

No offend to those who watch this show. My sister is a smartass, and she loves watching The Bachelor, gossiping it and would even write a blog about it. Yet, as I've mentioned before, she definitely fit one of those characteristic above. Obviously, her body condition score (BCS) is higher than 3/5. All I am saying is, at least stay in shape and if you are going to procrastinate, do something better than watching stupid reality shows.

I do want to make a point and say that not all girls desire men to make the first move. For instant, I am the exception. I very much dislike men pursuing me. I know what I want, and I like making the first move.